We have all done it, and there is nothing worse than dropping your phone. In the modern world we now rely on them more than anything and the thought of being without it for a few hours can be stressful.
Sometimes, the phone lands on its back, but the protective phone case keeps it from getting scratched or dented. Other times, you simply are not that lucky. The phone will fall face down and you will have that few moments of fear turning it over to discover its fate.
Installing the right screen protector, you can save yourself from the potential heartache of a shattered glass face and save you significant money in the process.
There is no such thing as the “best screen protector” Why? well it’s very much “horses for courses”. What works for a flat screen iPhone 12 would not be the ideal for a curved Samsung S8 Edge.
In this article Best Screen Protectors Android and iPhone 2022 you’ll find a selection of the best screen protectors for Android and iPhone that will keep your phone free from scratches, marks, or cracks.
What Is a Screen Protector?
In layman’s terms a screen protector is just something that sits on top of the phone’s screen to protect it against physical damage. The material is commonly made of laminated glass, polyurethane, film or hydrogel and is cut to fit the shape of your device.
In the event of a drop or fall, as most modern phones now come installed with OLED or Amoled panels it’s far cheaper and easier to replace a screen protector than replacing the phone’s screen itself. It also keeps the screen in far better condition over the lifetime of the phone. Although they are called “screen protectors” this does not mean they offer a 100% guarantee of survival and more should be viewed as a given chance of survival for a small outlay, especially when the average screen replacement is around £140.
Types of Screen Protectors for Android and iPhone
There are six main types of screen protectors:
Tempered Glass Screen Protector
Tempered glass undergoes different thermal and chemical treatments that increase its strength. It is commonly used for making screen protectors. Tempered glass is also used for making windshields, safety glasses, kitchen appliances, and more. High-quality tempered glass is regarded as one of the best screen protectors for several reasons.
For instance, it shows a clear display and is known for its good light transmittance. Moreover, a screen protector made with tempered glass is anti-reflective and therefore it reduces glare. It pairs well with a smartphone’s screen and gives a proper finish.
Polyethylene Terephthalate Screen Protector
Polyethylene terephthalate or PET plastic screen protectors are made of polyester film that has a matte coating on one side and silicone adhesive on the other side. High-quality PET plastic screen protectors are known for their anti-scratch quality. They are clear and prevent a smartphone’s screen from scratching by adding a protective layer to the screen.
On the downside, they have lesser impact protection as compared to tempered glass screen protectors since they do not protrude as much. However, they have excellent clarity and transmittance. They are also fairly flexible and do not shatter.
Thermoplastic Polyurethane Protector
TPU or thermoplastic polyurethane screen protectors use chemically enhanced and scratch-resistant plastic. TPU screen protectors are flexible and have maximum toughness. They also have oil and grease-resistant properties. Moreover, they have a rubbery sort of plastic that can go edge-to-edge with every phone. TPU protectors offer better impact protection than PET plastic screen protectors.
TPU material has elastic properties and softness which causes it to absorb non extreme impacts without scratching or breaking the screen. It can withstand lighter drops and scratches while maintaining all or most of its original composition. However, they may be difficult to apply.
Hydrogel Screen Protector
Hydrogel is another material used as a screen protector. Hydrogel is a rubbery processed plastic that offers a better scratch resistance than PET screen protectors. Hydrogel material is elastic and does not crack easily. It is known for its self-healing abilities and fixes minor scratches by itself. It is however a bit tricky to apply.
Privacy Screen Protector
If you don’t like people looking at your screen while you use your phone in public, a privacy screen protector is one of the best choices for your phone. Privacy screen protectors are essentially made of tempered glass and involve a little bit of polarisation.
This is helpful in effectively restricting the viewable angle of the phone. Privacy screen protectors can also be made with PET plastic that has an anti-spy layer that provides defence against lurking eyes.
Anti-Glare Screen Protector
Anti-glare screen protectors come with a matte finish coating that efficiently reduces the glare of the screen in bright areas. They are available in plastic or tempered glass varieties that also reduce fingerprints.
They work well for keeping your screen free of damage.
However, the only catch is that they can affect the clarity of the display. For this reason, choose an anti-glare screen protector if your work involves utilising the phone in bright locations for extended periods.
H2: Best Protection For Phone Screens
Below are our picks at the best options when choosing the best screen protectors for your device.
Best Screen Protectors for Curved Samsung Screens (S20 Ultra etc)
Curved screens are a challenge and we personally believe using hydrogel or similar is better than a more traditional screen protector due its ability to wrap around the curved edges. Although many tempered screen protectors claim to be contoured around the edge they appear to exhibit one of the following symptoms: they either don’t provide full coverage, lift around the edges after application or don’t fit into various case designs.
Ibywind Screen Protector
The benefits of this include:
- Precise cutouts for components such as speakers, cameras and sensors are precisely designed to offer the maximum amount of coverage while maintaining the product’s strength and integrity.
- [Optically Transparent]: 99% HD Clear screen protector with smooth surface and “True Touch” feel and keeps the bright and colourful image quality.
- [Smart Film Tech]: Self-healing properties enable the film to recover from minor scratches over time to keep your gadgets looking great. Any bubble and scratches will disappear automatically in 24 hours.
The protector comes with rear lens protection and a carbon fibre rear protector to that extra peace of mind.
Best Screen Protectors for Flat Panelled Samsung Screens (S21/22 etc)
One of the best ones on the market, albeit not cheap, is called White Stone Dome Glass. Whitestone Dome Glass is the original with patented LOCA technology, requiring UV curing.
White Stone Dome Glass
- Signature Dome Glass construction covers your entire display
- Full adhesive and ultraviolet light installation guarantees total protection
- 9H hardness for superior scratch and shock resistance
- Can be applied to a broken screen
- Oleophobic surface-coating provides fingerprint resistance
- Maintains perfect touch sensitivity
- Cuts blue light by 25% to protect your eyes
- Case compatible
- Easy to remove
Best Screen Protectors for iPhone
After all our testing you’re not going to do much better than use a world renowned company like Belkin. Available in clear and privacy!
Belkin UltraGlass Screen Protector for iPhone
- Up to 2x stronger than tempered glass
- First-of-its-kind glass. Lithium Aluminosilicate (LAS) provides upgraded strength, flexibility and premium scratch resistance. LAS films can survive drops from 2x the height of conventional aluminosilicate/tempered glass.
- Double ion-exchange strengthened
- Chemically toughened using a double ion-exchange strengthening that was precisely engineered for impact and scratch protection.
- Flawless Touch Screen Experience
- Precision touch sensitivity through intelligent glass composition that reacts like your phone’s own screen, ensuring every touch is transferred accurately for a flawless touch screen experience. Incredibly slim at just 0.29mm, you hardly notice the ultra-tough layer of protection.
What to Look for When Picking a Screen Protector for Your Phone
- Protectivity: For better impact protection, we recommend going for a screen protector made of tempered glass or TPU material.
- Compatibility: Get a screen protector that’s compatible with your phone’s shape, size, and model. Check the product description to find out which models the screen protector fits before buying.
- Functionality: Some screen protector models add a layer of privacy, anti-glare or blue light reducing layer. Other protectors feature antimicrobial coatings that help reduce germ spread on the screen’s surface.
Keep Your Phone’s Screen Protected
The best screen protector acts as a shield for the most fragile part of your phone, keeping it scratch and crack free. If you have an iPhone, the Gorilla Glass may be tough enough to withstand drops, but you still need to buy a durable protective iPhone case to secure the back from other types of damage like dings, shock, and water.